Sunday, September 30, 2012

Lox and bagels for breakfast

I should learn to take photos of the food I make, at least when I plan to post about it. But I let two chances go by again this morning. That said, I ate and enjoyed both of them!

I discovered lox and bagels at least 20 years ago, but it wasn't until we moved to East Lansing in 2001 that I discovered Einstein Brothers Bagels and their version. It quickly became my favorite from their menu. Sadly, the campus Einsteins here in Brookings stopped offering it shortly after we arrived last year. The good news is I'd taken one apart years ago and learned to make my own:
  • 1 everything bagel, sliced and toasted
  • Spread both sides with cream cheese (the salmon-flavored kind is great, if you can find it)
  • Press a spoonful of capers into the cream cheese on one side, then top with a few layers of lox
  • Add a slice of tomato on top of that, with salt and fresh-ground pepper
  • Top with a few slices of red onion, then cover with the other half-bagel
  • Press together, cut in half and enjoy!
Having a crock-pot pot roast for Sunday dinner today—that's a core Mr. Mom staple. After I get it cooking, I'll post the recipe here. If you don't have a crock-pot, run out to Walmart and get one now! (I have five, but I'm not sharing...)

No comments:

Post a Comment